- Composition was not solved.
- Very early on in this painting, I arrived at a composition that I liked, but I settled too quickly. The buildings on the hill were not solved early on, the sense of scale could be pushed further.
- No Reference.
- Civilization does not start abruptly. A town does not just begin all of a sudden, there’s a progression of buildings on the outskirts of any town, which lead into a denser packed city. If I used reference, I would have figured this out sooner.
- No Reference!
- The desert sort of looks like a desert, the town sort of looks like a town. The lighting kind of looks correct. Not good enough.
- Did not solve color or light.
- Before I jumped into painting finer details, lighting and color were not solved. I fought with it in the beginning, but never quite figured it out before I moved into painting if further. This led to a backwards approach, where I’m trying to fix my mistakes as I move forward This is a bad workflow, because it does not allow for what Bob Ross calls “Happy Accidents.”
Cow Abduction – 2017 -> Photoshop
To see the first half of this painting’s creation, go here -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NDId26lRHA
I’ll be painting in Photoshop, live, starting at 12 PM EST. I live in Spain, so that explains the time.
I’ve been inspired by the mountains and wide open landscapes of Spain. I have an idea of a giant leaping through the mountains, which I’ll try to execute this afternoon. I’ll post a link when the time comes.
Show up if you can, and tell your friends!